Six hours ideally. 1 to 1.5 hours minimally.
- 3-4 pound chicken
- dressing/stuffing optional
- Wash chicken quickly and make sure all insides have been taken out.
- Add salt, pepper and onion and put into a greased oven dish.
- Cook in a slow oven.
- Roasts and fowl should cook at 300 degrees (at least) for 1st half hr to kill any bacteria that could be present
- Lower to just below 300 degrees for at least six hours — makes it very tender and juicy.
- You could cook faster at 350 degrees for 1 to 1.5 hours if necessary.
If you want to add dressing [stuffing], the method is the same, but mix dressing and fill chicken’s cavity before cooking.