How to Share News Items, Music, Videos and Websites on Facebook
Have you ever wanted to share a blog post, website, video, music or news story in Facebook?
There are two ways to do this, by using either: (i) the ‘Share on Facebook’ bookmarklet’ (depicted in the image above); or (ii) the attach ‘Links’ method. Either way, your friends will see what you share in their Facebook feeds. Shared music and videos will be directly playable by them from within the feed.
Using the ‘Share on Facebook’ Bookmarklet
This is the easiest way. Get the the ‘Share on Facebook’ bookmarklet here. You’ll be taken to this page:
Follow the instructions. Grab (point and hold-click on) the ‘Share on Facebook’ bookmarklet icon on that page, then drag and drop it onto your browser’s bookmarks bar.
Later, when you are on a website, YouTube page, whatever, that you want to share:
- click on the ‘Share on Facebook’ bookmarklet. A page like this will pop up:
- Type your comment (or don’t – comments are optional)
- If there is more than one image on the page, you’ll be able to cycle through the images to pick the image you want to show up as the thumbnail in your Facebook feed. Or, choose ‘No Thumbnail’
- Click the blue ‘Post’ button
- If you are logged into Facebook, the link will be shared and your friends will see it in their feed. You can confirm by visiting your Facebook wall which will look something like this:
The Links Option
The ‘Links Option’ method takes a few more steps, but is still easy.
- Click the "Link" button on the left side of the Facebook page:
- Copy and past the link’s URL of the blog, story, YouTube video etc. that you want to share into the Attach field
- Click the ‘Attach’ button
- Type an optional comment (as I did in the example below):
- Select the image you wish to use as a Thumbnail (if more than one) – or choose ‘No Thumbnail’
- Click on the blue ‘Share’ button
The link will then be shared and your friends will see it in their feed. You can confirm that the link was shared by visiting your Facebook wall.